Traditional Lighthouses of Greece

In 1940 the network of Traditional Lighthouses of Greece were 206, but during the Second World War, (and particularly during the withdrawal of German troops away from Greece), they partially or totally destroyed most of them since they were strategic objectives. Others were destroyed by earthquakes e.g. the earthquakes of 1951 and 1957 Vardianoi and Fiscardo in the Ionian Islands which caused damage to lighthouses. Today there are 120 traditional lighthouses of which only 20 are in good condition. The first reconstruction of the network began in 1945 and continued until the mid 50's. Unfortunately until today all the lighthouses that survived wars and natural disasters are at risk. The lighthouses are buildings built to serve specific needs of navigation, primarily in their design had functionality and weather resistance. Today there are repaired and operated 82 Monitored lighthouses and many of them function as museums, especially those who are in or near cities or villages.

Venetian Lighthouse

"Fiscardo"

Location: Fiscardo, Kefalonia Island.

Latitude: 38° 27' 39.9" N, Longitude: 20° 34' 55.1" E

An old Venetian lighthouse from the 16th century, which resembles the shape of an ancient column, is located in the entrance of the port Fiscardo. In the area of the lighthouse is fenced with stone masonry approximately 2-3 meters and there is a house for the guards of that era, which is now abandoned, unattended and in poor condition. The importance of this lighthouse (the time of the Venetian occupation), was very high because of its port of Fiscardo. The inner harbour is very narrow for large vessels, but the depth is sufficient. The small fleet of the Venetians found good anchorage SW of Lighthouse. Fiscardo was the main export port from the whole region, from where there loaded all products (wine, oil, etc). Today the traditional village Fiscardo is the most famous touristic place in Ionian Islands and not only. There are a lot of famous very rich or extremely rich people who visit it with large or super extra large Yachts from all over the planet. The stone lighthouse was built in 1892 and located in the north of the island of Kefalonia. After the earthquake of 1953 the old lighthouse was abandoned and they built a new with square tower of 14.2 m and a height of 28 m. So today is unique in Greece, where exist in the same place two constructions lighthouses.

Venetian Lighthouse

"Ag. Theodoroi"

Agioi Theodoroi

Location: Kefalonia Island

Lat.: 38° 11' 29" N, Long.: 20° 28' 4.6" E

Located on the east side of the Gulf of Argostoli close to an area called Katavothres, at the northwestern of a cape, protecting the harbour of Argostoli the capital of the Kefalonia island or you will see it if you take the boat to Lixouri village. It is a circular structure with 20 columns and its tower is 8 m tall. The building has a rather simple and Doric architectural style, while its focal plane is 11 m. It was originally built-in 1828 by the British administrator Charles Napier, who ruled the island that time. In 1863, after the integration of the island to the Greek State, this lighthouse was included in the lighthouse network of Greece. The earthquake of 1953, that hit severely Kefalonia and the other Ionian islands, destroyed the lighthouse. It was rebuilt in 1960 by a local architect Takis Pavlatos. The lighthouse gives a romantic view at night and gives you a great place to walk, relax, swim and take photos of the great view.

"Gerogompos"

Gerogompos

Location: Kefalonia Island.

Lat.: 38° 10' 48.5" N, Lon.: 20° 20' 29.9" E

It was manufactured in 1907 from the British. The lighthouse is located in the end of homonym cape in the Kefalonia Island about 12 km west of Lixouri. The altitude of tower is 13 metres and the height of focal plane is 58 metres.The original lighthouse was destroyed by the retreating German troops at the end of Word War II and rebuild in 1947 using the same plans as the original.

"Sideros"

sideros

Location: Corfu Island.

Lat.: 38° 10' 48.5" N, Long.: 20° 20' 29.9" E

The conical stone lighthouse at Cape Sidero sits on the Venetian fortress overlooking Corfu Harbour. The Venetians cut a moat between Cape Sidero and the town, when they built the fortress. The fort is an important archaeological and historical site today. Sidero with a height of tower 8.5 m and focal plane 78 m, was built by the British in 1822. It had a simple fixed light but a few years later the lighthouse was equipped with new lens made by Sautter & Lemonier of France. In 1863 the lighthouse was ceded to the Greek government when the British left the Ionian Islands. The lighthouse along with much of the town of Corfu has suffered in wartime. In October 1915 the British merchant ship Sailor Prince was captured by a German U-boat near the lighthouse. During World War II (1943) the tower was damaged by the German army.

"Peristeres Kaparelli"

peristeres

Location: Peristeres Island (Corfu).

Lat.: 39° 47' 33" N, Long.: 19° 57' 33.1" E

The conical stone lighthouse at Cape Sidero sits on the Venetian fortress overlooking Corfu Harbour. The Venetians cut a moat between Cape Sidero and the town, when they built the fortress. The fort is an important archaeological and historical site today. Sidero with a height of tower 8.5 m and focal plane 78 m, was built by the British in 1822. It had a simple fixed light but a few years later the lighthouse was equipped with new lens made by Sautter & Lemonier of France. In 1863 the lighthouse was ceded to the Greek government when the British left the Ionian Islands. The lighthouse along with much of the town of Corfu has suffered in wartime. In October 1915 the British merchant ship Sailor Prince was captured by a German U-boat near the lighthouse. During World War II (1943) the tower was damaged by the German army.

"Vardianoi"

Vardianoi

Location: Vardiani Island (Kefalonia).

Lat.: 38° 8' 0.1" N, Long.: 20° 25' 35.7" E

Vardiani island is at the entrance of the Gulf of Argostoli (Kefalonia) and builded by British Charles James Napier in 1824. There was a 34m. high lighthouse but destroyed after the 1953's earthquakes and now you can see only some of the ruins.

"Oboros"

oboros
oboros

Location: Antipaxoi Island.

Lat.: 39° 8' 26.4" N, Long.: 20° 14' 54.2" E

The lighthouse is located on Cape Oboros on the south-east of Antipaxoi Island. It's a stone square tower 7.2 m, was build in 1906 with petrol. During the second World War was not working and in 1945 started again. A stone wall surrounds the compound. Inside the tower the keepers have an exhibit of old equipment and tools from early days. The island is accessible by private boat or water taxi from Paxoi & its an easy walk from the landing to the lighthouse.

"Kastri"

Kastri
Kastri

Location: Othonoi Island.

Lat.: 39° 51' 53.6" N, Long.: 19° 25' 45.2" E

Othoni Island, lies about 11 miles northwest of Corfu Island and is the western most island in Greece and the northern most of the Ionian Islands. It is one of the "Diapontia" Islands, satellites of the larger Corfu. The altitude of tower is 13 metres and the height of focal plane is 106 m. The conical white tower rises from a square dwelling. It was damaged during World War II by bombs & was unlit the periods 1941-1954. The kerosene beacon was then restored until 1985 when it was electrified. The lighthouse is not open to the public. Othoni Island is accessible only by boat and a small ferry goes to Othoni from Corfu. From the small port village of Othoni, a road leads to the northeastern point of the island where the lighthouse is located. The seas separating it from its mother island, it's usually quiet but, danger arises when the area receives strong westerly winds and cold air from Adriatic Sea. Perhaps it was a west wind that blew Odysseus to the island. Homer wrote that Calypso held Odysseus captive in a cave on Othoni Island.

"Lakka"

sideros
sideros

Location: Paxoi Island.

Lat.: 39° 14′ 8.6″ N, Long.: 20° 7′ 41.4″ E

Lakka is situated on the northern part of Paxoi Island 8 miles south from Corfu Island. The original lighthouse was built by the British in 1825 but an earthquake at 1913 (directly under the lighthouse) causing it to collapse. The entire lighthouse fell into the crevasse and was covered by dirt. It was rebuild in 1919, it’s 9 m height and the current beacon is visible for 20 miles which can be seen well to the west. The square stone tower is attached to a single story dwelling. The large cave Ipapanti is a popular destination for tourists who travel to it by water taxi passing the lighthouse. The lighthouse is not open to the public but the grounds are easy to access from Lakka. The distance from capital of the island (Gaios) is about 10 Km.

"Panagia"

Panagia

Location: Paxoi Island.

Lat.: 39° 12.0' N, Long.: 20° 12.0' E

It's located on the tiny island Panagia (Virgin Mary)where above is the lighthouse and the monastery, in the entrance of the harbour Gaios of Paxos island. It was built by the British in 1825 and was working with oil, then in 1890 with petrol and in 1982 with solar.

"Murtos"

Murtos

Location: Murtos (Sivota).

Lat.: 39° 24' 12" N, Long.: 20° 12' 55" E

The lighthouse was manufactured in 1884 from the French Company of Ottoman lighthouses. In 1941 was destroyed by the Germans. It's a white octagon tower 14 m height and of focal plane is 87 m. The access to the lighthouse becomes with boat from Sivota, known from the famous naval battle in 433 b.C. between the people of Corinth & Corfu. The two green islands at the bay of Murtos are considered from the name of the pirate, according to the traditions, as Sivota islands.

"Kapsali"

Kapsali

Location: Kythira Island.

Latitude: 36° 8.55' N, Longitude: 23° 0.0' E

The lighthouse is in the top of hill Easterly from the harbour of graphic village Kapsali in the Kythira Island. It is easily accessible as it is located in the southern part of the island on the right hill as you enter the beautiful harbour-bay Kapsali. Kapsali is the port of Hora of Kythira and the most cosmopolitan area of the island which gathers the attention of more visitors. The village is built around two bays, where there are two beautiful beaches and a well equipped marina. The lighthouse has height 6 m and the focal height is 65 meters. It's established in 1853 by the British and it was included in the Greek lighthouses network after 10 years.

"Mudari"

Mudari
Mudari

Location: Kythira Island.

Latitude: 36° 23.0' N, Longitude: 22° 57.0' E

It was manufactured in 1901. The altitude of tower is 25 metres and the height of focal plane is 110 metres. The lighthouse Mudari is located in Kythira island at Cape Spathi near to village Karava.

"Lefkas"

Lefkas

Location: Lefkas Island.

Lat.: 38° 50' 43.2" N, Long.: 20° 43' 11.5" E

It's located in the northern part of the fortress of Santa Maura, inside the bastion of the Almighty, builded with 6 m height square tower and a lighthouse. The altitude of tower is 6,5 m and the height of focal plane is 17 m.The Lighthouse operated for the first time in 1861 with oil. In 1889 with petrol until 1953 when the old machines were replaced with automatic acetylene torch and from 1990 with solar power. Access to the lighthouse is easy since it is located on the walls of the castle of Santa Maura at the edge of the canal bridge of Lefkas. The castle once embraced the city and cut off the road into enemies and pirates. Built around 1300 by the Frankish ruler John Orsini who took "Lefkada" for dowry in marriage with the daughter of Epirus Nikephoros A. It is one of the most imposing castles of its time. In 1479 the castle was occupied by the Turks. Then they built a large bridge with 360 arches that crossed the lagoon from the beach to the position "Kalkani". Unfortunately it was destroyed by earthquakes but some tracks are saved into the lagoon. The stone lighthouse of the last century (1861) & the church of Agia Mavra inside the castle survived completely.

"Cape Dukato (Kavos Kiras)"

dukato
dukato

Location: Lefkas Island.

Lat.: 38° 33' 48.8" N, Long.: 20° 32' 34.1" E

The Lighthouse of Dukato is located in Cape Dukato (or Kavos Kiras), south of the island of Lefkas. The lighthouse was built-in 1890, the height of the tower is 14 m and the focal height of 70 m. It is one of the most preferred Scuba Diving site in Lefkas but the currents are pretty strong and only divers with a lot of experience should dive with an expert guide. The light station stands at the top of a spectacular cliff with a fantastic view of the islands Ithaca and Cephalonia.

"Skinari"

Skinari

Location: Zakynthos Island.

Latitude: 37° 56.0′ N, Longitude: 20° 42.0′ E

It’s located above Cape Skinari, 67 m height from the sea, in the northern side of Zakynthos Island, about 1.5 km north of Corinth. The lighthouse is a round rocky tower 9.5 m height manufactured in 1897. The area around the light station is well-known for the ‘BLUE CAVES’ cut into the limestone cliffs by the sea and for several historic stone windmills.

"Krioneri"

Krioneri

Location: Zakynthos Island.

Latitude: 37° 48.0' N, Longitude: 20° 54.0' E

This lighthouse located in Cape Krioneri the southeastern side of the island and it’s the narrowest path between the island and the mainland. The lighthouse was lit in 1832 and is one of the oldest lighthouses in the Ionian Islands built by the British. Later in 1866 a new lighthouse was built at its current location in Krioneri. In the first year the lighthouse served consecutively with olive oil and acetylene and then the 30s with electricity until 1953, when it was destroyed by the earthquake. The concrete tower was built-in 1955 of 8.2 meters and white, which was installed on the automatic torch and operates today as unattended and unmanned.

"Apolitares"

Apolitares
Apolitares
Apolitares

Location: Antikythira Island.

Latitude: 35° 50.0' N, Longitude: 23° 20.0' E

It's located near the Potamos village, on the Southern tip of Antikythira island 16 miles from the northwestern tip of Crete. The lighthouse keeps a lonely vigil over the seaway connecting the Ionian Sea to the Aegean Sea and the Sea of Crete. The tower has a unique design. Its bottom portion is cylindrical while the top section is conical and stands at one end of a crumbling. The area around the lighthouse, known as "Apolytares Point", is rugged and isolated, with sheer cliffs dropping to the sea on all sides of the station. The lighthouse was established in 1926 and has a modern solar beacon with a range of 17 miles. It is not accessible by road and is not open to the public.

"Ag. Ioannis"

Ag. Ioannis

Location: Crete Island.

Latitude: 35º 20' 27'' N, Longitude: 25º 46' 20'' E

The lighthouse was manufactured in 1864 from the French Company of Lighthouses in Northern part of Crete. The altitude of tower is 9 m and the height of focal plane is 49 m. It is located in the end of cape Agios Ioannis and included in the Greek lighthouses network in 1912-13 after the end of Balkan Wars. A historical monument protected by law 3028/02 on "Protection of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage" and by Law 2039/92 on "Ratification of the Convention for the Protection of the Architectural Heritage of Europe." Thousands of visitors each year visit the region to admire this impressive building. The particular aesthetic Lighthouse Aforesmenou facing big problems and static maintenance is now a ruin, in fact in danger of collapsing. The oldest part of which was a tower that existed here, has disappeared and in recent years lost the metal cover of the lamp. The twisting staircase is open and anyone who wants rises to the top of the lighthouse. Around the area grows various herbs, shrubs and flowers that are trying to give colour and life in the countryside. Efforts are being made to repair the lighthouse but the Greek bureaucracy has not allowed yet. Recently opened road that leads to the lighthouse for the transportation of materials to repair and enhance.

"Rethymno"

Rethymno
Rethymno

Location: Crete Island.

Latitude: 35º 22' 12.5'' N, Longitude: 24º 28' 39.5'' E

The lighthouse was manufactured in 1864 located in the harbour of Rethymno. Recent studies have shown that the origin is Egyptian and was built-in 1838 by Mehmet Ali, the period 1830-1840, when Crete was left to the Egyptians in exchange for their services to Sultan in Crete and the Peloponnese during the Greek Revolution. The height of the tower is 9 metres & the focal height is 49 meters, with easy access for romantic walks. When the night falls, "erases" the eyes because of the almost non-existent lighting.

Back to top